Tuesday, July 7, 2009

924

I have been around track and field most of my life. I know it’s hard to believe, but I have run several marathons, scores of ten kilometer races, even more ½ marathons and four years in high school of running half-mile and mile races. I had the privilege of running with and against some of the best runners in my generation. I’m sure that none of you have heard of these athletes. Scott Rocker was one of the fastest high school 440 yard dash runners in the USA. Dann Kroeger was the fastest high school miler in the state of Iowa and one of the top 5 milers in the country. Scott and Dann were my high school teammates. I was one of the fastest milers in the state of Iowa and never won a race – Dann was always ahead of me. However, we had a marvelous 2-mile relay team setting numerous state, conference and national records.

Most of us have heard of Jessie Owens but even his glory is fading. I had the privilege of meeting Jessie at my high school football banquet – he was our guest speaker. After the banquet, Jessie met with Scott, Dann and I for a few minutes. It was during this discussion that Jessie changed my perspective of an athlete, religion and life.

Jessie told us to read 1 Corinthians 9:24-27. It said:

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

The Apostle Paul was a sports enthusiast. He often used analogies based on sports, he likened our faith to a race. He likened our spiritual growth to the athlete who trains for the games. The boxer, the wrestler, the runner all keeping their bodies in shape to compete in the games. Paul was not speaking of the sprint, the hundred meter dash – but the long distance run, the marathon. His desire was that we will be purposeful in our faith and in our lives – like an athlete. “Keeping in shape”, “going into training”, “living a disciplined life”, “having limits and boundaries.” Persevere – live out your faith, because that is what will show Christ to others. And that is what will keep us from being overwhelmed by the pressures of life.

Years later, the fastest 400 meter hurdler in the world, Edwin Moses, always wore the number 924. I knew why. Now you do. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals (122 consecutive races) and set the world record in his event four times. He ran “in such a way as to get the prize.”

Every time I saw Edwin run, I would flash back on that one meeting with Jessie Owens. From that moment on, I focused on running the race to win. God did not give me the gifts of a world class athlete, but he gave me the desire. I used that desire to achieve athletically much more than what I should have. I was captain of my college basketball team and selected to the all-conference basketball team. I was voted by my college teammates as the MVP of my college football team. This success completely surprised my high school teammates and, I'm sure, my high school coaches. It happened and it happened because of Jessie, Paul and 924.

Training to win is completely different than expecting to win. The winning comes from the training. Just as Paul said, “Keeping in shape”, “going into training”, “living a disciplined life”, “having limits and boundaries”-- that is what will keep us from being overwhelmed by the pressures of life.

Thank you, Jessie and Paul. You changed my life.

Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment