Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad.

Happy Birthday, Dad. 
We miss you!


It’s hard to place the first memory of someone who has always been there.

This giant man who could do everything –
who took your hand when you were little and
helped to show the way.

This gentle man who everyone likes, and who seems to like everyone.

This patient man who met the obstacles of life and lived with them: 
Crushed arms, frozen feet, hearing loss, malaria attacks, lost dreams . . .
Tomorrow was always a new day.

This loving man who never had any money,
but could always share his love, strength and support.
This family man who was there for his brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, wife and sons.
You were always there. My Hero, My Dad.

I love you for hitting me fly balls day after day while
the swing of the bat stressed your broken arms.

I love you for never placing expectations on me while
enjoying whatever successes I’ve had.

I love you for loving Mom --
for showing me the value of unconditional love.

I love you for defending me when I was 17 –
for showing me the real meaning of family –
I’ve never forgotten.
I love you for being my hero, my Dad.

I’ve watched you grow older, smaller and frailer, and
that was when I was 20.

I’ve watched you while
you’ve survived the challenges of retirement and reveled in that life.

I’ve watched you glow in the long deserved acclaim and honors
for your service to your country --
Bronze Star, Purple Hearts, respect from your WWII buddies.
I’ve watched you change, yet always be my hero, my Dad.

The time is now for us to say good-bye.
It’s hard, Dad.
It’s hard to place the first memory of someone who has always been there.
You are forever in my memory. You will always be My Hero, My Dad.


Lloyd Stanley Rinehart
Born: May 1, 1917                                                                            Died: December 11, 1997
Lloyd S. Rinehart died at the San Diego Hospice on Thursday morning, December 11, 1997 after a brief illness. Bob, as he was known to his friends, was born May 1, 1917 in Polk, Nebraska to Frank and Florence Rinehart. The Funeral Service was conducted Thursday, December 18, 1997 at Calvary Lutheran Church, Solana Beach, CA. Internment followed immediately at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, Point Loma, CA. A Memorial Service was
also conducted Saturday, January 10, 1998, at United Methodist Church, Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas.

Lloyd graduated from Grand Island High School, Grand Island, NE in 1936. He then attended the Bellevue Nebraska Trade School.

Inducted into the Nebraska National Guard in February, 1941, Sergeant Rinehart served in World War II with the 35th Division, 134th Infantry. He saw action in the Normandy Invasion, Battle of St.Lo, Battle of Nancy and the Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded two purple hearts and a Bronze Star for gallantry under fire during this service to his country.

On October 5, 1942 he was married at Glendale, CA to Ruth B. Grim of Dannebrog, NE. The marriage was blest with two children, Gary and Rodney. Ruth and Lloyd celebrated their 55th Wedding Anniversary this past October.

Mr. Rinehart was a thirty-one year employee of J.I. Case Company in Bettendorf, IA. He retired in 1980. The couple moved to Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas to live their retirement years. Bob was an avid horse-shoe pitcher and served as a member of the Horseshoe Bend Lions Club, Methodist Men’s Club, Kansas and Nebraska Club and was active in many civic events. Mr. Rinehart served on the Horseshoe Bend Auxiliary Police Department for fifteen years. Bob was Commander of the American Legion Post 344 in Horseshoe Bend, AR at the time of his death.

Lloyd was liked by all. He was a gentle, quiet man that led by example. He consistently gave of himself to others and asked for nothing in return.  He said that everyday after WWII was a blessing that he cherished.

Bob together with his wife Ruth were Charter Members of Asbury Methodist Church in Bettendorf, Iowa. Upon his retirement, they joined the United Methodist Church of Horseshoe Bend, AR and served this congregation for the final 17 years of his life.

Lloyd was preceded in death by his brothers, Owen, Rollin and Lee, and sister, Audrey. He is survived by son Gary (wife Nancy) of Del Mar, CA and their daughters Tisha (died 1999) and Brooke; by son Rodney (wife Cheri) of Bettendorf, IA and their son Mathew; his brother Ross (wife Ellen) of Amrey, Wisconsin; and sister, Agnes (Mrs. Fred) Quick of San Jose, California have all since past away.

No comments:

Post a Comment